Well.... I think this site, in its own way, is "RPG OA" ... :-) Thanks to you all!

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Henrik Rützou
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:31 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: AW: AW: Open Access to be generally available as part of the RPGcompiler

No don't hire me, hire BOAC (better of a camel) or SABINA (such a bloddy
experience never again)

;-)

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM, sjl <sjl_abc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hire Henrik to do it on a fixed bid - All work to be completed In One
Month.
;-)
- sjl

"Bernd Dworrak" wrote in message

Henrik Rützou wrote:
To me RPG OA is a Program Ephemera. It’s like CCP on System/3 where
everybody knew that this wasn’t going to last and CCP also completely
disappeared with the introduction of System/34-36-38 with RPG 5250 support
through FORMATS and DDS....
What I don’t like about RPG OA is that it binds the programmer to a couple
of proprietary vendors of handlers and thereby whatever these vendor tools
in their “black box” can do...
And
On the other hand... I think Henrik is forgetting that there are millions
of already written programs that use the display file paradigm, and that
the amount of work needed to refactor all of those programs might be
prohibitive.
95% can be rewritten in one month!...

Well, although I think that RPG OA will last more than a few months, I will
explain my skepticism to make it more clear.
We have about one thousand different display files and each has a number of
five formats on an average without the special adaptations for individual
customers.
And there are new DSPF coming each and every month.
This means that one has to refactor about five thousand screens and not
only
that, but to make them work in a correct way by testing!
How should this be done within a reasonable period at reasonable cost?
Don't forget, our company is an ISV and we have to face the competition
with
others that build applications for "WINTEL" machines.
This means, even if we would license a tool from one of the handler vendors
and pay a lot of bucks for it, we will still have the problem to calculate
the costs for our customers.
You know how good the system i is, but it is more expensive than a x86
server.
In most cases the user of a system I also pays more money for the software.
An example: compare T.L. Ashford labeling software and Seagull Scientific
Bartender ;-)
So I can understand the reasoning that RPG OA binds companies like ours to
couple of proprietary vendors of handlers and their refactoring tools.
I cannot understand how - in our case - 95 percent of the code could be
rewritten in one month. This is absolutely unthinkable.

Greetings
Bernd Dworrak, Dipl.-Phys.