On 04-Feb-2012 13:10 , Joe Pluta wrote:
On 2/4/2012 3:00 PM, CRPence wrote:

FWiW: Some limited date formatting [ISO, USA, EUR, JIS, LOCAL] is
available from the CHAR and VARCHAR scalars. Also effectively [the
date would need to be cast as TIMESTAMP] even more capabilities in
date formatting should be available using the VARCHAR_FORMAT [aka
TO_CHAR] scalar.

Limited is being kind. They stink. I don't know if you've ever
tried VARCHAR_FORMAT but I've only ever gotten it to work with two
format strings: "YYYY-MM-DD" and "YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS". Anything
else gets me a QRY2293 error.

I have not used TO_CHAR. I have no access to a system with that scalar.

If the "job" were not limited to the 2-digit year formats, I expect that the "LOCAL" representation would suffice for most. That and the other 4-digit standard forms are likely fairly comprehensive globally; i.e. although limited, I think CHAR() probably is sufficient most of the time. Admittedly my preference [as seen in my replies: "dd-Mmm-YYYY"] is not formatting provided by CHAR(), but my formatting choice is a /language sensitive/ format beyond a simple choice of delimiter for only digits.

As to any errors, I can only suggest both that defects do not fix themselves and IBM service and developers do not [generally] peruse the web looking for anecdotal reports of problems [that are not being reported]. And even if they did look, they would not necessarily find them.

FWiW the error message QRY2293 is the Query/400 run-time report writer equivalent of CPF9999 of the OS and SQL0901 of the SQL; i.e. they are all generic escape messages. Any such message by itself is of little value, as each redirects to the prior messages. For example, the QRY2293 suggest to "determine the cause of the problem, press F10 or use the Display Job Log (DSPJOBLOG) command to view the messages that were logged immediately before this message". Without all of the details available in a LOG(4 0 *SECLVL) spooled joblog for the failing request along with the specifics of the request that was issued [e.g. the SQL statement and details like the column definitions], little worthwhile comment can be made about the origin of those generic "something bad has transpired" messages. With those details however, a resolution may become obvious [e.g. messaging documents a restriction that can be avoided] or a symptom keyword string could be produced with which a search of existing APARs and PTFs might suggest a fix to be applied or a circumvention.

Regards, Chuck