Hi Vern,

An obvious possibility for me is remote databases. You have put together
great material on using JDBC - your service program could be the core of
a nice handler - just as I've done that with our RPG2SQL product.

I approach this with a similar stance as UI modernization. Shouldn't we be using SQL to access remote databases instead of native record-level I/O?! Wouldn't that be better.

Sure, you could say that there are lots of existing programs out there using native I/O and maybe users want to have them work with SQL Server or Oracle or something without rewriting the code. Okay, I can see that -- but, again, that's a quick-fix, not the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal should be to use SQL.

Dieter Bender has already written an ARD driver for JDBC so you can use the dynamic embedded SQL operations (EXEC SQL) for accessing other databases like SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc. Isn't that a better solution than OA?

At least "normal" native I/O, has a minor performance advantage over SQL. With an OA driver to a JDBC connection, it'd be the opposite, the direct SQL would actually be faster than the OA calls (which would use SQL under the covers, but wouldn't be able to do set-based processing.)

Not to mention that the handler would be really tough to write. As you mentioned, a CHAIN would be easy. So would a WRITE opcode. But what about SETLL or READE? What SQL statements would you translate those to? How about UPDATE? The native I/O UPDATE updates a record that's already loaded in memory and locked for the program's use. How on earth would you do that in JDBC?

For stuff like CSV files, I think it makes sense, though. But, there aren't a lot of areas where I think it fits.