Come on Vern. You can rewrite 95% of it in one month.

-----Original Message----- From: Vern Hamberg
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:21 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: AW: Open Access to be generally available as part of the RPGcompiler

Hi Scott

I agree with you here, and I also make the same point that Jon does -
the buzz has been on 5250 modernization, but that's a really big task
that I don't want any part of. We both know of others in the
modernization arena that have not used OA with their product line.

An obvious possibility for me is remote databases. You have put together
great material on using JDBC - your service program could be the core of
a nice handler - just as I've done that with our RPG2SQL product.

One of the things about OA is that you have to work in the mold of
native file I/O - this just won't fit many of the new resources, so OAR
is not a good thing for those.

So if you can think of getting data from somewhere as a CHAIN, you're in
business with OAR, seems to me. And many shops have people that can do
this. Or working with IFS files. Again, the things you've put together
could be the engine for such a handler.

Hey, there go 2 cases that are not all that unusual - but maybe they are
the only 2? I can't think I should believe that. But the imagination of
this community will tell the tale.

And I think I'm all for learning new stuff. As you said, however, there
is this huge body of code that companies just can't afford to change.
There's no ROI in change merely for change' sake - some of the naysayers
seem to be in the latter camp.

Regards
Vern