Jon Barbara and everybody who replied thank you.

I suspect that the error came about after the program was recompiled at
version 6. The program in question passes pointers to data structures as
parameters to 2 dynamic program calls. I would have liked to eliminate
this unnecessary complexity and replaced the pointer by a prototyped
call using the likeds feature. However this would have had an enormous
impact on the system , so I opted for a work around. I created 3
separate little programs to write to each of the files and I created
these in their own named activation groups thus 'protecting them' from
the address error in the main program group. This solved the problem and
reinforces my belief that we should avoid passing pointers when other
more safe techniques exist.I hope this is not too crude a solution as do
admit that I do find this area quite difficult to follow and as such am
a bit worried how I'll get on with Java as we are dropping RPG in favor
of OO.