On 06-Jan-2012 10:18 , Barbara Morris wrote:
On 2012/1/6 1:11 PM, Jerry C. Adams wrote:
Well, I didn't find anything in the manual that directly addresses
the issue at hand ...

It's in the Programmer's Guide:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzasc%2Fsc09250702.htm

"If no error indicator or 'E' extender is persent and the code that
generates the exception is in the MONITOR block of a MONITOR group,
control will pass to the on-error section of the MONITOR group."

That IBM i InfoCenter link was worthless for me... presenting only a Table of Contents :-( Without the context\heading, drilling down was not an option and specifying "error indicator 'e' extender monitor block" on the "Search:" did not help find the above text either :-(

However, laughably, the misspelling "persent" [persisting since at least v5r3?] instead of "present" made the search easier using Google.

IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Programming -> Programming languages -> RPG -> ILE RPG Programmer's Guide -> Debugging and Exception Handling -> Handling Exceptions -> Exception Handling Overview -> ILE RPG Exception Handling

_i Exception Handling within a Cycle-Main Procedure i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzasc/sc092507327.htm#hexmain
"
When an exception occurs within a cycle-main procedure ILE RPG does the following:
3. If no error indicator or 'E' extender is persent and the code that generates the exception is in the MONITOR block of a MONITOR group, control will pass to the on-error section of the MONITOR group.
"

_i ILE RPG Exception Handling i_
_i Exception Handling within a Cycle-Main Procedure i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iadthelp/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.etools.iseries.pgmgd.doc/c0925075269.htm
"
When an exception occurs within a cycle-main procedure ILE RPG does the following:
3. If no error indicator or 'E' extender is persent and the code...
"

Regards, Chuck