Hi Gary,

if I understand your requirements, you want to connect to MS SQL Server, using a diffrent driver as the prepackaged.
lets have alook to what is already done:
1.) Lib JVAGATE restored
2.) ADDRDBDIRE for your target database (if this works, part 1 successfull)
3.) adjusting global.properties

as400.system=172.17.16.69
as400.user=GTHOMPSON
as400.password=
as400.dataqPath=/QSYS.LIB/JVAGATE.LIB/JAVAQ.DTAQ
as400.responseqLib=/QSYS.LIB/JVAGATE.LIB/
as400.ccsid=500
handler.ARDPGM=de.bender_dv.ardgate.application.ArdHandler
# looks fine and is working, otherwise you would not get a response from java
handler.KUNDE=de.bender_dv.test.Confirmer
# thats only a test entry, does not disturb
ard.url.JDBCTEST=jdbc:sqlserver://172.17.16.63;databaseName=JdbcTest
# looks good to me
ard.driver.JDBCTEST=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
# looks fine

what's not working up to now, is the classpath it must contain:
- the directory with global.properties and log4j.properties
- jt400Small.jar (could be another Version of jt400.jar)
- commons-logging-1.1.1.jar (could be another version of commons-logging)
- log4j-1.2.16.jar (could be another version of log4j)
- all driver jar files, you want to use:
- sqljdbc.jar

if you are sitting in the install directory and have all located there, resulting in:
java -classpath .:commons-logging-1.1.1.jar:jt400Small.jar:log4j-1.2.16.jar:sqljdbc.jar
-jar Appserver4RPG.jar

One note for your understanding, what's going on:
the distribution is prepacked with all you need and a driver for mysql, the oracle thin driver and the jtds driver to access SQL Server. If you unzip the AppServer4RPG.ZIP to one directory and just start the runnable jar without setting the classpath, it will find one inside the AppServer4RPG.jar in the Manifest. Setting the classpath it should contain all, what is needed.

Dieter