From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of paul therrien
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:22 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'
Subject: RE: Populate a one-field file from a multi-field physical file

Do you want the output data to zero suppress yet keep the same size?
Ex:
000123456.99 as ' bbb123456.99' taking up 12 positions, where b=blank?
Or
do you want 000123456.99 to show up as 123456.99 and only take up 9
positions in the output?
I think you are after the first option so that the numeric values in
each
record are in the same position. In which case you data structure
numeric
values need to be character fields and you need to set them by using the
editc bif.
But what I really think you want now is an internally defined output
spec.
Do your output to the file as an output spec with all of the numeric
formatting specified in the output spec. In this way you have an F spec
for
the input file, and F spec for the output file as a program described
file
and a bunch of o specs for the output record fields with the formatting
specified there. You would only need calcs to set your H01, D01.
You are essentially creating a report as a flat file instead of to
paper.