RPG II program names (at least on the S/3/34/36) were limited to six [6]
characters because that's how much room one had on the H-spec to name it.

On the System i, though, the name isn't required (or even normally used) on
the H-spec. The name usually comes from the CRTS36RPT (although there a
*CTLSPEC option).

So you may be right about the 36 environment just trying to be overly
helpful. It's just that I could not (and still cannot) understand by the
DSPPGMREF showed GL0211FM but it crashed looking for GL0211OEFM, where
GL0211OE was the original name of the program object.

I "solved" the problem by creating a second project library and compiling
the second version under its real name. It's just that I've done this kind
of thing with 36 environment programs before without an issue. That said,
most of the time the F-spec for the workstation file looks like:

FWORKSTN CP F 1920 WORKSTN
F KFMTS GL0211FM

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
My wife made me what I am today. Someday I'm going to get even with her.
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN