On 30-Jun-2011 20:37 , Mike Wills wrote:
I like this solution. Can I specify a record on 6.1? I'll have to
look next Thursday when I get back to work.

The 7.1 doc link was just because I already had that version of the InfoCenter open. Here is v5r4 CREATE TABLE showing RCDFMT clause and syntax "RCDFMT format-name":
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/db2/rbafzmsthctabl.htm

Thus the following two CREATE TABLE create SQL database *FILE objects with different names, but the same Record Format Name of MYRCDFMTNM; and given the same column-list and column definitions, the same Record Format Level Identifier:

create table XT20110630 (...) rcdfmt MYRCDFMTNM
;
create table XT20110701 (...) rcdfmt MYRCDFMTNM
;

So the RCDFMT clause has been available on the CREATE TABLE statement since v5r4. The clause is available on other CREATE statements which create database *FILE objects as well [CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY, CREATE VIEW, ¿though perhaps not CREATE INDEX? until v6r1 where the limited column list capabilities and the WHERE clause were added].

Prior to that release [or at least prior to support for that clause] the means to accomplish the same was to perform both a CREATE and then a RENAME. The name used in the CREATE would be the record format name, a name reserved for the [non-concurrent] application doing the CREATE to avoid conflicts. The to-name on the RENAME would be the desired final name of the TABLE:

On one day the requests are:

create table MYRCDFMTNM (...)
;
rename table MYRCDFMTNM TO SYSTEM NAME XT20110630
;

On the next day the requests are:

create table MYRCDFMTNM (...)
;
rename table MYRCDFMTNM TO SYSTEM NAME XT20110701
;

The effect is that both file names XT20110630 and XT20110701 have the same record format name of MYRCDFMTNM. Much easier with the RCDFMT clause since that became available.

Regards, Chuck