Booth -

I know you're getting old, but try to keep up here - I believe that you got
totally lost on this thread. Please re-read what I originally wrote.

I am having a philosophical discussion/argument with a fairly new full-time
employee who works for my client company. She has /never/ developed code in
free-form RPGIV, and today she expressed the belief that we should instead
be doing everything in RPG/400; essentially she is saying that there is
nothing in free-form RPG that we cannot already do in RPG/400.

I expressed a strong exception to that statement, and she challenged me to
list 5 compelling reasons why RPGIV is better than RPG/400. I'm already up
to around 20 reasons, but as Jon Paris has indicated it probably will not
change her mind even if I come up with 50.

As I explained in both my OP and a subsequent post, we already have a
substantial body of RPGIV fixed-and-free-form code already in production.
The rest of the developers (except one) in the shop have been developing
applications in RPGIV/free-form code for several years, so there is /no/
"long learning" process involved for anyone but /her/ in the context of this
discussion.

- sjl

Booth wrote:
The one compelling reason for her shop to start the long learning
process involved in bringing a shop's "native intelligence" up to speed,
in my opinion, is that I suspect the software firms offering written
with non-ILE RPG are no doubt looking seriously into converting.

Her shop has every possibility of being caught flat-footed when the new
version is finally shipped.