Yikes! I hope Larry isn't getting slammed for being confused for me! We are both so "snip"pish! (bad pun, came from the snips he and I did in the emails we responded to!)

Anyhow, you ask, shouldn't an RPG developer know how to do a CALL? Of course. OA does not remove the need for that skill. There are things that OA is not good for - like a CREATE TABLE on a remote database. I can conceive of a way to kind of shoe-horn this into an IO model, but it might be best to use procedure calls for this. In a very general sense, OA is good for things with well-defined data structures and not especially good for command-level interactions.

I like your questions - I hope that you are getting some answers that help. Personally I see Open Access as an option in situations that can be treated as native IO. The whole thing came out of an ISV requirement to be able to use native RPG opcodes to work with browsers. Now maybe it could have been new opcodes. IBM chose to make a generalized technology, that opens up more than just interactive interface modernization. For example, I can write a handler for remote database access that uses opcodes that every RPG developer knows how to use, and knows how it behaves. The only thing the developer needs to provide is an IP address for our PC middleware server, and an ODBC connection string for the database, such as Oracle or MySQL or whatever has such a driver.

I think, and some others I have talked to seem to think, that there are lots of ways to use this new technology - with the goal of concealing complexity for developers. Some seem to want to intensify the level of complexity - maybe not on purpose, but they have argued that developers should not be allowed to "languish" in "old-fashioned", "outdated" methods. (That was my emphasis and choice of words - it has been stated differently.) YOU have not said that, as far as I've seen.

Still, if you can give a developer a tool to get his or her work done faster, and more easily maintained, I think that's a good thing.

Admittedly, OA is a thin veneer over API calls. But then so are lots of things we write in service programs.

I have to admit to doing happy dances when I pull data from SQL Server running on my laptop in Minneapolis, into an RPG program running on an IBM i on an LPAR in Dallas. And it is so blasted clean-looking, so simple, so basic. I guess I really do need a real life, eh? Hey, when I want real excitement, I WRITE a record into a SQL Server table!! Then watch me dance!

Regards
Vern