Larry,

I just compiled this code on 7.1 and it runs fine. But when I compile it
with TGTRLS(V6R1M0) it bombs with MCH3601.

Joep Beckeringh

Larry Ducie

Hi All,

Can anybody please confirm if they have an error when running this code:

d DS1 ds qualified
d template
d line 200A dim(50)
d zone 3S 0 overlay(line:01)
d char 3A overlay(line:01)

d DS2 ds likeds(DS1)

d i s 5S 0

/free

for i = 1 to %elem(DS2.line);
DS2.zone(i) = 50 - i;
endfor;
sorta DS2.char;

*inlr = *on;
return;

/end-free

When we run it on our 6.1 machine it fails on the sorta specifying a
pointer error (originating from a reference to a space offset
outside the job).

The array(s) within DS2 is populated without errors, and all
elements can be referenced within debug.

Interestingly, if we comment out the template keyword and recompile/
rerun, the code runs fine - the array is sorted.
If the code is amended to run directly on DS1 (without template)
everything is fine also.
To make it weirder, if we reduce the size of line to say 20A it also
works without errors.

This code is a sample created to reproduce the error. I'd be very
interested to see if anybody else can reproduce this, or offer any
ideas as to the cause.

Cheers

Larry Ducie