My point is that *NOPASS is only a problem because IBM implemented it
that way. :)

I'm sure Barbara and co. had good reasons...but I can't help but think
that part of issue was RPG's limited support of NULL. After all
options(*NULLIND) didn't come around till v5r4 and you still can't
define a stand-alone null variable.

I can't think of another language that differentiates between "not
passed" and "passed as NULL"...

From the perspective of the called procedure, disregarding the
existing implementation requirements...does it really matter to the
called proc if it was called
MyProc(var1);
or
MyProc(var1:*OMIT);

Not that I can see...in either case, the second parm is not available for use.

Charles