On 2011/3/8 12:13 PM, M. Lazarus wrote:
Given this code:
At this point, the first element of Array2 should be positioned over the
last element (#10) of Array1. Assuming I don't attempt to access element
2 in Array2, is this safe to do or will the shift of Array2, elements
2-10, overlay memory it shouldn't?

Mark, what's the purpose of having two arrays exactly the same except for the subfield names?

By the way, to code the DIM keyword for a DS, you'll be forced to code the QUALIFIED keyword, so you won't have to worry about having the same subfield names in the two data structures.

If you do need two data structure arrays for some reason, you'd be better off defining one of them with LIKEDS to guarantee you get the same layout.

But I agree with others in this thread that you're setting up a dangerous situation by defining Array2 with the same number of elements as Array1, while intending to position the Array2 ypointer somewhere after the first element of Array1. If you're only intending to use the first element of Array2 anyway, why make it an array?

And now I wonder, why bother with the overlay in the first place? Why not just use Array1(10).Field1 etc?