David,

One technique you could use is simply to store a link (URL, file path,
whatever) to the CLOB in a text field. The file doesn't get too large (as it
would if you try to store the CLOB in a big CHAR/VARCHAR field), there's no
CLOB-retrieval overhead if you don't need the CLOB (for instance if you're
just interested in other fields in the file), and it's pretty flexible,
since it's up to you how/where you store the CLOB.

Rory