Depending upon the approach, Midrange-L may be the best place to post.....

There is quite of bit of history in the archives on the subject which is may be why there wasn't much of a response.

There is a data tool for Excel that comes as part of IBM i Access. If I recall correctly, there is a way to define the range of cells within the sheet that you want to update and all you need to do (again, if I recall correctly) is to open the spreadsheet and that will trigger a query that will update the sheet. I am a little fuzzy on those details because I abandoned MS Office products completely about two years ago.

You could write an RPG program that would update the sheet as well. Scott Klement has some excellent tools that you can use to manipulate spreadsheet data from RPG. http://www.scottklement.com/poi/

There are many ways to skin the cat. I don't know where (OS) and how(language) you want to update the spreadsheet, but updating the spreadsheet is more difficult than creating one so you'll have a bit of a challnge to come up with an approach that works in your particular scenario.

My only question was your reference to a "DCL", what is that?

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.asaap.com
www.opensource4i.com