I am not sure DB2 is generating it. It is probably the driver.

As far as getting the next, DB2 stores it in the database and it caches a
number of them. Part of the parameters for creating the identity field is
how many to cache. So it doesn't query, it just goes out and gets the next
one out of the cache.