Efficiency is a hard topic to tackle. But generally speaking, static sql
will run a bit faster than the dynamic sql. Because statuc sql does not
require a lot of warm up time.

As for complex criteria, you could try specify both the >= and <= conditions
for each optional filter field that you have.

Using your example (Assuming that coid is the department field), you can
change your statement to be like:

Exec-sql

declare C1 cursor for

select * from oncontac00

join ondept00
on coid = onid
where

colast >= :colast_var and
coid >= :coid_low and coid <= :coid_hi
order by Colast;

In your RPG program, if user did not specified a department filter value,
then initialize coid_low to *loval and coid_hi to *hival. If user specified
a department value that he wants, then initialize both coid_low and coid_hi
to the value that he has specified. Hopefully this make sense...