Paul,

No worries, the confusion that filtered through to me was that this thread was suggesting that blocking could be the OP's "problem" with his trigger. It wasn't necessarily your details, more that yours was the one that triggered me to interject :)

Crispin.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Tuohy" <tuohyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: FILE TRIGGER

Hi Crispin,

Sorry for any confusion - as per the end of my note, I was not
commenting on the original posters question or whether or not RPG
blocking was causing the problem (although I would be amazed if you
could specify BLOCK(*YES) for a file with a trigger).

I simply wanted to clarify that RPG has it's own blocking mechanism.

Regards

Paul Tuohy
ComCon
www.comconadvisor.com
www.systemideveloper.com

Crispin Bates wrote:
Paul,

How does my RPG Program know which record(s) failed because a Trigger
stopped them from being written, when a block of 100 [for the sake of the
question] records is passed from the RPG Buffer to the DBMS?

How should I code to handle the individual records that failed, when the
failure from the trigger does not happen until the block is written?

Am I completely missing something here? I thought the DBMS made the trigger
calls, not the RPG runtime.

Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Tuohy" <tuohyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>