Thanks Schadd...I'm not sure if I want to go the stored procedure route or
the UDTF route, but it sure is good to know that this works.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Schadd <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Using a stored procedure would be my suggestion. You need a multiple
occurrence data structure to return the rows. You would not need to know
the exact number of rows being passed back, just the maximum. When you
preform the SET RESULT SETS command in SQL, you will tell the SQL
environment how many rows (occurrences of the data structure) that you will
be providing. You just need to do some planning to determine the best max
size of the MODS.

Thank you,
Schadd Gray
Damon Technologies, Inc.
www.damontech.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ryan
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:52 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Best Practice for Returning Multiple Rows from RPG to PHP

Ok...here's what I really want to know.

What is the best option for returning multiple rows of data from RPG to
PHP?
Here's some of my considerations:

* I don't want to do complex processing in my PHP script; I'd rather use
the
PHP to access and display data;
* The RPG program is needed because I'll be accessing multiple tables and
could be doing some complex processing;
* I need to return 1-n rows of data.
* I'm on V5R4.

When I look at a stored procedure, I see that I can return a result set.
However, I think I need to have an array or a multiple occurrence DS, which
makes me think I would need to know how many rows I would return. I was
thinking about a UDTF. Would that mean my RPG program would write (INSERT)
records to the UDTF and then my PHP script would just do a simple SELECT?
Does a global temporary table play in this?

I appreciate the insight. Thanks!