You are right if you are speaking about green-screen app. User do tends to
press enter, which will normally cancelled the job. But this usually is not
a big deal becuase interactive job tends to deal with very small volume of
data and user normally will let you know after two or three try. The
problem comes when it is a batch process that process millions of records.
If your SQL all the sudden crap out and the programmer forgot to handle the
SQL code, what the process is going to done next will become very
unpredictable. The best part is that the job will completed successfully.
Then one week later the Accounting department come to you and say they are
missing a few million dollar and they have to close the book this afternoon.