The CLASSPATH at compile time vs. the CLASSPATH at execution time may make
this prohibitively difficult (or at a minimum, error prone). You are asking
to have the COMPILE step set up variables that may not be available until
EXECUTION time.

Then again, I don't suppose that is very different from pulling in external
file specs... Hmmm....

Dennis Lovelady
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what
happens to him."
-- Aldous Huxley

That's a fantastic little tool, thanks for identifying it for everyone,
Jon. :-)

Of course, this is possible because Java supports "reflection" -- but
that begs the question:

If such a tool is possible, why do we even need to create a copy /
include member to define java classes to RPG IV?

The ILE RPG IV compiler should be able to directly accept a statement
such as:

import java.lang.reflection.*;

and internally, do the equivalent of what this tool does, to
update
the symbol tables with the needed definitions.

(I think I will open a DCR for this.)

What do you think?

All the best,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 10/30/2010 2:20 PM, Jon Paris wrote:
Have you tried any of the tools to build Java protos? There's one
built in to WDSC/RDi/RDP but personally I prefer the one at
www.foundation.be

Can't give you a direct URL 'cos it uses frames but click on "Free
Tools" in the menu and then select Visual RPG Prototype Generator. I
can't remember the last time I tried to build one by hand - not worth
the effort.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:00 PM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks to Barbara and Scott for their help so far.

Sorry to say, I am still having problems with the definition of
toByteArray.
list