... clear of a datastructure initializes the memory the ds is actually located, so its possible to use in your case.

D*B

From: "Bryce Martin" <BMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:23 PM
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Memory being reused by %alloc on second call to program.

Yes, I'm basing a datastructure. I'm creating a 2D array that can handle
more than the limit at v5r4. Pretty easy to blow through the limit. If I
was at 6.1 or 7.1 I wouldn't need to do this, but here I am.

I'm not sure that what you said is true Dennis. How is CLEAR going to
wipe out dynamically allocated memory? I think you are slightly
misunderstanding what is going on.... unless CLEAR can do way more than I
thought.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Dennis Lovelady" <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/28/2010 11:35 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Memory being reused by %alloc on second call to program.

Not sure about anyone else, but usually when I allocate memory, it's
because
I want to base a data structure on it.

So, once I have the basing pointer set, I simply CLEAR MYDSNAME and voila!
Instant clearing, with the additional benefit that numerics are "cleared"
the correct format, and alphas are blank.

Dennis Lovelady
"Don't knock the weather; nine tenths of the people couldn't start a
conversation if it didn't change once in a while."
-- Kin Hubbard

Bryce;

This is just my opinion, but your logic should be redesigned to track,
in this case, the number of records/array elements populated and return
that to the caller also.

Baring that, no a rclrsc won't help, even if this was an OPM program.
RPG's %Alloc or %ReAlloc does not have a "fill with" parameter, like C
does, so you have to initialize it yourself using the C memset function.
You could also use the C alloc/realloc functions instead of the RPG
bifs.

Duane Christen

--

Duane Christen