Comparing old-style RPG reads from externally-described files (i.e., a target DS may not be specified at all) to the new option of specifying a target DS that's defined on the file:

When I first learned of the new option, I was told that it was more efficient, because it replaces a whole bunch of individual field data transfers with one big blit of the entire record.

The file in question (opened for input only) has 314 fields. But we are only looking at 11 of those fields, and 7 of them are currently defined in 2 other structures, and in one of those, it effectively makes fields that are non-contiguous in the file contiguous in the structure the program refers to.

I started looking into converting this to the new "read-to-DS," but then I realized that I might be barking up the wrong tree, replacing implicit individual field transfers with explicit ones, and/or replacing comparisons of entire structures with comparisons of the individual fields therein.

The obvious question is whether or not RPG, when doing an old-style externally-described read, skips the fields that are never referenced, or transfers them anyway.

So am I barking up the wrong tree here?

--
JHHL