Hi Scott,

It looks like I will need to move over to sendmsg and recvmsg (which is probably a good thing anyway) because of the blocking issue.

It appears that it doesn't really matter how much I fiddle with signal sets and signal actions - alarm will always fire a SIGALRM and takedescriptor will always block it.

This makes sense really. By adding signals to the signal set (sigaddset) and assigning the signal action (sigation) I was simply rearranging the deckchairs on the deck of the titanic, so to speak. After all, alarm will ALWAYS raise a SIGALRM signal and there is nothing I can do the make it raise anything else.

I took a look at the docs for setitimer to see if it would save me. But alas, it also raises a SIGALRM signal so no joy there.

I can't see any way to raise a specified signal on a timer basis so I must fall back on snedmsg/recvmsg as they at least don't block.

Thanks for all your help/advice with this.

Cheers

Larry Ducie