The real kicker with this code is that he is entering a dou loop to fetch
data into the ds and then leaving right away. The dou has no value what
so ever. He checks for an error on the cursor open and then fetches and
leaves.... He might as well make it an 'if' statement.

Is this person new to using sql? New to using sql cursors? It seems like
he has some very basic misunderstandings of how the process works. And if
he does "understand" I'm sorry for you.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Dennis Lovelady" <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/12/2010 07:26 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Astonished by embedded sql

Now that I've had my coffee:

Each time that the SR is entered, the SQL statement will be prepared,
cursor
will be opened, all matching rows will be fetched (but not to the intended
structure, methinks), and the cursor will be closed.

Before I had my coffee, some of this wasn't true, so you can thank Mr.
Folger.

How do you break this to the developer? Ummm... "won't work properly"
comes
to mind. Or you could ask the developer what s/he thinks happens when a
FETCH is done into a qualified DS. Or you could ask why there's a global
unqualified DS of the same name in the program (I think there must be one
or
it wouldn't compile, right?)

Dennis Lovelady
"A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice."
-- Ed Howe

It seems to me that this is the equivalent of opening
myfile for each
subroutine call, reading every record in the file then closing the
file again.

Yes, that's right.

Although I'm not sure about the reading. Is the whole file
read at the
open cursor statement?

No, but it is read in its entirety at the DoU loop. (FETCH does the
lifting.)

Thanks, Dennis. But if the FETCH was executed more than once, it
wouldn't be read in its entirety a second time, would it?

By the way, I didn't think FETCH into *qualified* DS did
quite what we would hope. Perhaps I am mistaken on that.

I didn't even notice. That's going too far! How do you suggest breaking
all this to the person who wrote it?
list