I was content just reading the banter until I saw this one. I just
can't resist now. :)

First, reverting from free to fixed format has nothing to do with the
integrity of the code. It is just another example of the "old dogs, new
tricks" adage.

Secondly, one of the tongue-in-cheek examples that I saw didn't just
revert to fixed format, it reverted to some pre-RPG IV styles:

C *like define xmlfield temp
C len subst(p) bighunkdata:gttemp
C z-add 1 fnd
C temp lookup xmlfield(fnd)
10
C *in10 ifeq *off
C z-add 0 fnd
C endif

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but this little snippet made me
chuckle. It a fine example of how far the language (including fixed
format) has evolved, and how so many immovable programmers go with what
they know rather than growing with necessary changes. Seriously: z-add,
ifeq, internal indicators?

Finally (but certainly not all I have to say about this issue), free
format was introduced to RPG in 2001. How can that possibly still be
referred to as the "latest, greatest method?"

Tom Armbruster