This brings up a problem that I have had for a while (and have just worked
around it). (Insert 'that's what she said' joke here, hahaha)....

But on CGI/RPG programs, if I HAVE to directly call the RPG program via
the web, and that RPG program opens Service Programs, etc.
How does the service programs (and any open files within) get closed, when
there is no CLP wrapper.

I know the proper answer would be to manually open/close the files, within
service programs, but let's jsut say that's not an option.

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Technical Solutions Architect
Dancik International, Ltd.
2000 CentreGreen Way, Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

www.dancik.com

"Mark S. Waterbury" <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/07/2010 10:37 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: program won't let go of file

Hi, David:

DFTACTGRP solution
=================
Assuming all of these *PGMs are in fact running in the *DFTACTGRP, then
you can just issue:

RCLRSC LVL(*)

in PGM1(CLP), right after the CALL to PGM2 returns to PGM1. This will
close all open files and end all active programs below the current level
in the call stack.

NOTE: if somehow PGM4 or PGM5 were not compiled with CRTBNDRPG ...
ACTGRP(*DFTACTGRP) then this will not work. :-o

Named Activation Group solution
=========================
Another alternative would be to convert all of the called OPM programs
to ILE -- CLP to CLLE, and RPGIII to RPGLE, and create PGM2 with a named
activation group, e.g. ACTGRP(PGM2) ... and create all the programs it
calls with ACTGRP(*CALLER). Then, when PGM2 returns to PGM1, PGM1 issues:

RCLACTGRP ACTGRP(PGM2)

This is one of the main benefits of using ILE with named activation
groups -- you can control termination of a named activation group far
more easily than with RCLRSC in "OPM compatibility mode" (in the
*DFTACTGRP).

I hope this makes sense ...

All the best,

Mark S. Waterbury