... same question, different environment. Once a java routine blows up in
the batch job, you'll have the same issue but at higher cost. What do you
do about that?

But it sounds like you are using embedded java; you're just not using it
interactively. Else why are you starting JVM at all?

Dennis Lovelady
"An autobiography usually reveals nothing bad about its writer except his
memory."
-- Franklin P. Jones

... I don't use this "embedded Java" in RPG at all, I always put one
JVM to a
Batchjob, serving multiple RPG Clients via DataQ. IMHO this approach
has
multiple advantages:
- no startup punishment
- better scalability, than starting JVMs for many Jobs
- no need to put everything to the system classpath
I have written open Source AppServer4RPG (hosted at SourceForge) it has
a RPG
Part with a procedure fireEventP, sending a Request with a name and
Requestdata ro the prestarted JVM. You would have to write a Java
RequestHandler (for every Request Name).
In the meantime there is a complete application as example available
(ArdGate,
an universal database driver - with this you can access every database
with
embedded SQL)

D*B