John,

I like the look of it, but I have a couple of 'concerns'.

1. Could you implement it so that you don't need to explicitly pass the
terminating null character? Easy to check within your REGEXP procedure, and
means that RPG programmers won't have to mess around themselves.

2. Following on from Dennis's concern(s), could you pass an (optional) final
parameter to say wheter you want to perform REGFREE? Then, REGEXP can check
whetherthe regexp has changed since the last time (and perform REGCOMP if
necessary), and only do REGFREE if specified (or when the ActGrp ends, of
course):

H bnddir('QC2LE')

D intotest s 256
D inpattern s 256

d regexp pr 10i 0 extproc('regexp')
d xtotest * value options(*string)
d xpattern * value options(*string)
d regfree 10i 0 options(*nopass)

d xreturn s 10i 0
d totest s like(intotest)
d totestptr s * inz(%addr(totest))
d pattern s like(inpattern)
d patternptr s * inz(%addr(pattern))

d cnull c x'00'
d REGFREE c 0

/free

intotest = 'myname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx';
inpattern = '\w+@\w+\.\w{2,3}$';

totest = %trim(intotest);
pattern = %trim(inpattern);

xreturn = regexp (totestptr: patternptr: REGFREE);

dsply xreturn;

*inlr = *on;

/end-free

Just a thought (or two)

Rory

p.s. I still really like it. Don't think that these are all negatives - just
observations...