From: Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Future of RPG: What language would you learn?
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 1:14 PM

a lot of folks choose PHP for the "low hanging fruit". PHP isn't as
complicated as the other languages mentioned in this thread. which means
they can be productive sooner. after they have that additional skill they
can go after the more complex languages. PHP IMO is a good precursor to
learning JavaScript (sticking with the more simple "languages"). after
JavaScript then java is a pretty simple stone's throw away. to me that is
a good progression. PHP can be coded (and should be IMO) to be portable
across multiple database installations instead of using things like the
proprietary i5_ functions available for the "i". the db2_ functions work
just fine with different databases (pretty much the only required changes
would be for the connection strings). but that's simply my 2 coppers.

YMMV

Thanks,
Tommy Holden