Tom

The troubling thing about the scenario you pose and the question you ask that
it's so junior high-ish. Even any half credible college program is going to
expect students to pick up any number of language skills quickly, so that core
curriculum can focus on architecture, design, and application. If you're only
marketing your language skills in today's global market, you're going to be
continually displaced by someone who is more desperate for work, passed more
certifications, and has more skills than you.

Why ask about language skills, when they have relatively low value? Domain
experience has a lot more value. And intellectual property has a lot more value
than domain experience. Is your job merely a set of language skills? Or are you
in the business of creating intellectual property? First ask, what intellectual
property can I create that will add the most value, then pick the language to
express it.

These types of questions always become a discussion about what language is most
popular. Why not discuss what language creates the most value? The problem
with popularity, is that supply rushes to keep pace with demand, and before you
know it, the supply exceeds demand. So you here over and over to keep learning
something new, but that won't keep some worker in some disadvantaged economy
from doing it more cheaply than you. Start DOING something that creates value!

-Nathan.