This may be too simplistic of an analogy, but what do we have to lose with a tool - any tool - that is forward-looking?

In my mind the risk of adopting EGL at this point is fairly potent
when you consider TIOBE doesn't even list it yet, and languages like
REXX and MS-DOS Batch *do* make the list:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html. Oh,
and RPG is 22 on the list :-)

I don't think people realize the total cost of switching to a new
language (i.e. EGL or .NET or PHP). People promote changing languages
like changing underwear, but in reality it is a HUGE change for a shop
to make - especially since in the case of EGL it also requires that
you introduce two new layers to your run-time environment - an app
server like Websphere or Tomcat, and a JVM. Neither take significant
advantage of IBMi native features that I have seen to date.

On the flip side, the cost of staying with RPG could be equally as
risky if you don't take the right steps to learn the latest tricks of
the trade and have a mechanism for training in new talent.

Note that I am totally on board with RPGers learning a new language
like EGL/Java/.NET/etc so their RPG skills can be enhanced, but
actually adopting it into a production environment needs to be well
thought out concerning long term ramifications.

What's interesting to me is that *because* of RPG lagging, it has been
able to skip over the past decade of various attempts at UI
modernization that have come and gone - well, with the exception of
VisualAge RPG. We have a new opportunity to see RPG shine with all of
the buzz around "cloud computing" and SaaS (Software As A Service),
because in reality that is EXACTLY what we have been developing for
years with RPG. We just now need to figure out how we want to
architect our UI layer moving forward.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/