Walmart still has a bunch of Series/1's. It's a great data collector.

From: thomas.l.deskevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Open Access..In answer to your question Vern
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:11:27 -0400

Vern:

I have enough of a base of knowledge with most of the subjects here that I
can run with a snippet.
I do not want to get into too many specifics, because this is not a web
forum, but I asked the brass if I could
spend some time learning PHP. I was given permission, and had some success.
Then all I wanted to do was call an AS/400
stored procedure from a PHP script. I was given some guidance, but my "hey,
it is still not working. any ideas?" posts came up empty.
I had nobody to ask, no resources that I could find on the web. I did get
the PHP for RPG programmers book and read it.
But I think this is where the "average" (of which I certainly am)
programmers stall. When the CEO asked me how it
was coming with PHP, I had to be honest and share the same story. I told him
we would be better off to develop
in ASP.NET, which we have some expertise here on. Another programmer here
was able to teach himself VB and ASP.NET.
He is the type of guy who can take a motorcycle apart and put it back
together, I am not.

I do worry about my future. We can all say that there are millions of lines
of RPG code out there that need to be maintained.
But that code can become dead forever, with the purchase of a PC based
system.

I recently read the article by Bob Cozzi, Every time a green screen program
is created, a job is lost.
His bottom line is learn Java Script and HTML, which is really universal and
applicable in many places.
Take your average RPG code monkey (I love that phrase BTW) and introduce him
to Java Script and HTML.
He may be calling Wal-Mart to find out how much a greeter gets paid.

What is often repeated here is so true. It is often difficult to learn new
things. Some of us have to do that at home on our own time.
Often, our "real jobs" do not encourage or even allow us to try new things.
But, in defense of the brass, they need to get things done and make money
today.

Tom Deskevich