From: "Dennis Lovelady" <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 4:46 AM
To: "'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Zero suppress a character field for display...

Interesting, but won't that fail if the value of the variable is all zeros?
So that really it's five lines instead of 1?
If invoiceNbr = *All'9' ;
// some solution, like %Subst(invoiceNbr:1:%Size(invoiceNbr)-1) =
*Blanks ;
Else ;
%subst(invoiceNbr:1:(%check('0':invoiceNbr)-1)) = *blanks;
EndIF ;

Dennis Lovelady
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
-- Lewis Carroll

In a single line of code:
%subst(invoiceNbr:1:(%check('0':invoiceNbr)-1)) = *blanks;

Basically just finds the first non-zero character and replaces
everything
before it with *blanks.