Yes, that's right. One cannot (directly) add subfields to a data structure
that's defined with LIKEDS, LIKEREC or EXTNAME keywords.

The only alternative of which I'm aware (other than the prior pointer-based
suggestion) is to hand-roll the DS definition (all [desired] fields of the
PF). Should be safe to put into /copy (/include) code since the OP has said
that nobody dares change the file-from-hell.

Dennis Lovelady
"The holy passion of friendship is so sweet and steady and loyal and
enduring in nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked
to lend money."
-- Mark Twain

My guess is that LIKEREC is messing things up. The error message
implies that the previous DS has somehow been terminated (as if
another stand-alone definition had been inserted) and the 'array'
field is not being recognised as part of that DS and therefore is
being treated as a stand-alone field. That seems like a defect to me
so perhaps you are missing PTFs or a maybe PMR is in order?