From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:22 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: C rename returns -1 but error text says no error exists

Hi Rick,

d Rename pr 10i 0 ExtProc('rename')
d OldFile * Value
d NewFile * Value

Okay, so Simon was exactly right in his guess about what you were doing
wrong... Excellent intuition, Simon!

I am curious about your assertion that the rename function maps
differently depending on how the program is compiled. I did spend time
in the C Run-time Library Functions manual yesterday before posting
but I don't remember seeing anything about changing the behavior based
on the compile. I'll check again.

Here's a link to the Information Center page:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/renamefs.htm

the very first words on the page:

The rename() function can be defined to be either
Qp0lRenameUnlink() or Qp0lRenameKeep(), depending upon the
definitions of the _POSIX_SOURCE and _POSIX1_SOURCE macros . . .

Would I be better off using the API?

You _are_ using the API! (Or trying to.) What did you think you were
calling?!

Anyway, it appears Sharon has already posted a prototype you can use...
so your problem should be solved... But, FWIW, here's what I have
coded in my IFSIO_H copy book:

/if defined(RENAMEUNLINK)
D rename PR 10I 0 ExtProc('Qp0lRenameUnlink')
D old * Value options(*string)
D new * Value options(*string)
/else
D rename PR 10I 0 ExtProc('Qp0lRenameKeep')
D old * Value options(*string)
D new * Value options(*string)
/endif

You can get the whole copy book with all of the IFS API definitions here:
http://www.scottklement.com/presentations/IfsSources.zip
--

Privileged and Confidential. This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.