I meant to say, Don't use CONST nor VALUE. And I say that assuming that the
procedure is going to change the value. If it's not going to change the
value, then you're OK with what you have.

As I was making coffee, though, I thought more on this. So this field used
to be 7 but now it's 9. And your procedure deals with it as a 7 in some
fashion. You say that's OK. You didn't ask us to address the advisability
of the general concept, but if you would like us to, we'd really need to
understand why/how it's going to always be considered safe to allow
parameters of 7- and 9-bytes.

Dennis Lovelady
"Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin
where he was."
-- Richard L. Evans

Don't use Value. It's misleading and will cause maintainers to not
trust you in the future.

Instead use Options(*VarSize)

I would be more concerned about what happens in the actual procedure.
Does it "see" Dossier as a 7-character or a 9-character field? If 7,
you're OK. If not, how does it differentiate between the callers that
use 7-char and those that use 9?

Dennis Lovelady
"Open 24 hours. Lifeguard on duty 8AM to 8PM. Drowning absolutely
prohibited."
-- Swimming pool suggestions posted at Plantation Bay Resort,
Phillipines

One more post before I drop this thread!

Here I want to populate a display field before showing the screen :

IF NOT GetMyDossier ( inputParm : DisplayField_myDossier );

D GetMyDossier PR N
D inputParm LIKE ( Ref_InPutParm ) CONST
D myDossier LIKE ( Ref_myDossier )

DisplayField_myDossier is 7A and Ref_myDossier is 9A so it won't
compile like that. Ref_myDossier has been prolonged to 9A in our data
dictionary, but the actual length of dossiers is 7A. So, I <want> the
parameter that is returned to be truncated. I put VALUE on it so that
it will compile. I hope I've done right as I've not used this before.

Still, I find it baffling that the compiler protects me from
truncating
the output parameter but I not the input parameter that although I
have
indicated <don't change this parameter> by the use of CONST.
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i / System i (RPG400-L)
mailing