There is a utility preprocessor - /copybook - available which allows
you to copy selectively from a source member, by specifying from and to
line numbers or from and to labels. In your scenario, prototypes can
now exist in the same library/file/members as the modified sources.

Available at rpglanguage.com/copybook. Its free and it was created by
yours truly. jmckay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am definitely going to check out this utility! I may not use it for
RPG prototypes, since signatures should not be shared between objects
(they are subject to change after all), and we do have the D-spec
keywords LIKE( ) and LIKEDS() and EXTNAME() for field references.

But for DDS, this now gives us the great capability of the FORMAT
keyword for Display Files. FORMAT now only works for Physical files,
where for instance, many different Transmit files all share the same
format, fields, etc but will have different physical names depending on
the type of data.

But with this, a standard heading on reports or displays is now
possible! That has some fantastic opportunities.

There are no other IBM-supplied /COPY abilities available for DDS, is
there?
(I know in v7.1 we have the CL command "Include CL Source" (INCLUDE)
which is a /copybook.)