I have a field of 31 bytes that can have the value "O" or "W".
I *thought* there was either a BIF or Op-Code that I could use to find
the number of times a value occured, but can not find it in the manual.
ie: if the field contained WWWWWOOWWWWWOOWWWWWOOWWWWWOOWWW,
I would like to be able to get the value 23 for the number of times the
W occurred.

Well, I'm generally opposed to using SQL for non-SQL functions but this one
is ripe for the taking. :) Besides, if I don't suggest it then Birgitta or
Luis or Charles will. :)

Exec SQL Set :wCount = length(trim(:field)) -
length(trim(replace(:field,'W',''))) ;

I think that would do it. (Note lack of space between ending apostrophes on
that replace verb.)

Dennis Lovelady