Thanks, Vern, for the feedback.

Would you happen to have access to some 'handler' code. I can't seem to
find any anywhere.

David

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Technical Solutions Architect
Dancik International, Ltd.
2000 CentreGreen Way, Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

www.dancik.com

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/22/2010 07:19 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Today's COMMON Open Access for RPG webcast

Hi David

I've been involved with the beta on Open Access, too, for a while.
Handlers are things you can write yourself - there's nothing odd about
it - it's like writing to another API or exit program. AFAIK, there's no
additional cost to develop the handlers - from the discussions I've been
in, I assume that's what the "developer tool" would be. As to paying for
handlers, yes, that's where vendors and maybe IBM come into play - those
would be like any other product - or feature of a product. Seems
entirely reasonable to charge for a handler. (Of course, I work for such
a vendor, should we decide to make a handler!!)

I'll review the presentation sometime - been too busy lately - have to
work, you know!
Vern

dmosley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
We watched it also, and were also impressed that it wasn't the normal
'screen-scraping' cr@p.

I have alot a questions, that I'm everyone is going to have, like costs
and addition JS/VB code to name a few.

Aside from the Developer tool, which they were giving away, it appears
the
only thing left to sell would be their custom 'handlers' for your RPG,
which, after researching, you could actually build yourself. Which
makes
the Open-Access for RPG that more intriguing. And upon research of
that, it's our understanding that IBM's not giving that away for free.

I would like to discuss this with other in more details if anyone has
more
detials of the Profound product, or even the Open-Access RPG handler
stuff. I can't seem to find any examples of one, in how they look/work
whatever.

David

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Technical Solutions Architect
Dancik International, Ltd.
2000 CentreGreen Way, Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

www.dancik.com

"Lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/21/2010 05:38 PM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Today's COMMON Open Access for RPG webcast

We also watch the Profound Logic webinar. It all looks quite
impressive. Biggest question I have is "what will it cost?".

Also there is a question of event driven style application like VB or
VARPG, where a click takes you to a specific point in your code, where a

click here will always take you to the line after the exfmt, which is
procedural. But it looks like a good candidate to replace 5250 screen
with a much better interface.

Also the question of how/if it will work on things like hand held
scanners which don't necessarily run a browser.

Sam