Hi,

Agreed. For this situation, I usually just overlay the DS itself.
Depends
on what you're after (you lose some flexibility) but you might like:
d othGL 7p 0 DIM(30) Overlay(dsothr: 57)
d othGL_alpha 4 Dim(30) Overlay(dsothr: 57)

To avoid hardcoding the starting position I'd define the arrays as follows:

ddsothr ds
d othTicket# 1 7s 0
d othDate 8 13s 0
d othCust# 14 18s 0
d othTotal 19 25s 2
d othComment 26 50
d othNSF 51 51
d othGroup# 52 56s 0

D DSOthGL
d othGL 7p 0 DIM(30) Overlay(DSOthGL)
D othGL_Alpha 4A Dim(%Elem(OthGL))
Overlay(DSOthGL)

D FurtherSubFields...

Note: There is no additional definition for DSOthGL. It is defined by the
fields that overlay DSOthGL.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)