Hi Timothy,

Hmmm... Whomever 'cfuture' is, they seem to have given the answer I would give. Though, I would add that you can read your record directly into a DS and skip the I-specs.

For example, I suspect you're currently doing something like this:

D ARRAY S 7P 0 DIM(30)

IMYFILE NS
I 1 5 FIELD1
I 6 30 FIELD2
I 31 150 ARRAY

C READ MYFILE

When you do the 'READ MYFILE' it populates the I-specs. This is the traditional way of reading a program-described file. But, it's not the only way! You can also read directly into a DS, as long as that DS is the same length as the record length you defined on the F-spec.

So for example, you could do this:

D Record DS
D Field1 5a
D Field2 25a
D Array 7p 0 dim(30)

C READ MYFILE Record

So that eliminates the I-specs, which interesting by itself, IMHO... but you still could get blanks in the array, and that would still lead to your 'Me duele la cabeza' problem.

But fortunately, the DS approach makes it easy to overlay stuff.

D Record DS
D Field1 5a
D Field2 25a
D ArrayA 4a dim(30)
D ArrayP 7p 0 dim(30) overlay(ArrayA)

C READ MYFILE Record

c for x = 1 to %elem(ArrayA)
c if ArrayA(x) = *blanks
c eval ArrayP(x) = 0
c endif
c endfor

Now if there were any blanks in the array, I've forced them to zeros. Not bad, aina hey?

Timothy Adair wrote:
I have an RPG IV pgm (not ILE) that is reading in an old QS36F program-described file. This file has a "field" that is actually a 30-element packed numeric array (7,0). For records with valid data in this array, everything is fine; but I have some records with spaces (hex '4040404') in this array, and when it hits one of these, the program gives a decimal-data error (understandably so).

I have specified the compile option of FIXNBR(*INPUTPACKED) but the program is not fixing the data at input-time. Does *INPUTPACKED not work for input arrays? It seems to work for single fields.

And yes, I know, I need to fix the data. I intend to but that doesn't guarantee I won't encounter more of these in this file (or other files). I'd like to nail down a viable solution now. We will be converting to externally-described files eventually but for now this is the situation I have to deal with.

And yes, I have tried every conceivable combination of overlays & arrays to program around the problem. Every attempt either wouldn't compile, or gave the DD error when run.

Me duele la cabeza!

Ayuda?