On 4/7/2010 4:44 PM, Simon Coulter wrote:
... Also, I might WANT to do a blanket copy of
data without respect to like-named sub-fields so there must be an
alternative to EVAL-CORR even on VRM540 and later.

Simon, RPG does a blanket copy with EVAL-CORR if the data structures are defined LIKEDS each other. The EVAL-CORR summary will indicate this.

For data structures defined LIKEDS each other, using a straight assignment with EVAL or MOVE is usually the same as EVAL-CORR; the possible difference is that EVAL-CORR also assigns any null-indicators associated with the data structure, while EVAL and MOVE ignore the null-indicators.

I have two data structures, DSA and DSB, defined identically, and a third, DSA1, defined LIKEDS DSA. EVAL-CORR DSA=DSA1 produces the first summary and EVAL-CORR DSA=DSB produces the second. The first EVAL-CORR would do a blanket copy, and the second would assign subfield by subfield even though the data structure are actually identical.

E V A L - C O R R S u m m a r y
EVAL-CORR summary 1 9
Both data structures defined with same LIKEDS or LIKEREC
EVAL-CORR summary 2 10
SUB1 Assigned; exact match
SUB2 Assigned; exact match