David,

It is the reference for 6.1. Are you compiling for 6.1?

Joep Beckeringh

From:
David FOXWELL <David.FOXWELL@xxxxxxxxx>
To:
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
25-03-2010 15:00
Subject:
Rpg reference example won't compile

Hi, this is from the reference book page 353.

Ffile1 if e disk
Ffile2 o e disk
D ds1 e ds extname(file1) prefix('':2)
D qualified
D ds2 e ds extname(file2) prefix('':2)
D qualified
/free
read file1 ds1; // Read into data structure
eval-corr ds2 = ds1; // Assign fields with same name
write file2 ds2; // Write from data structure
/end-free

I'm getting two errors : RNF5063 on the write, the file mustn't be an
externally described file, RNF7595 position 1 of ds1 doesn't contain a
subfield for the format.

I thought you needed to specify if the ds1 in factor 2 was used for input
or output.

Anyone know what's wrong?