The nicest part of dealing with JSON is that it is a native javascript
datastructure. It stands for JavaScript Object Notation. I use it with
anything AJAX. PHP has a built in support too with json_encode and
json_decode. It can take an array or other structure and put it into a
native javascript object and send it back which makes it EXTREMELY easy to
handle on the client side. In web services this is REST, instead of SOAP.
But I usually have my client send off the AJAX request, let the PHP do
its server side thing and return a string of JSON.

As to how RBD does things. I have no clue, I haven't used it. I use JS
to create DOM elements, sure. That is based on user actions or data
population. But I wouldn't think to create the majority of a page that
way. I've seen mashup code that has all the html, php, and javascript
slammed together in the same document and I really prefer not to develop
that way. My theory is to get that page up as soon as you can and if you
have data to load the user won't care as long as you give them something
"pretty" to look at while it loads. Such as a progress bar or animated
makes it way easier to spot and fix bugs as well as expand on what you
have already.

Just my $.02.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/19/2010 11:38 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
What skills should you have?

Using PHP to generate javascript to generate HTML? Who does that?
And why on earth would you?

Bryce,

If I understand correctly, Rational Business Developer tools generate
JavaScript which generates DOM elements - if not generating HTML. That
could be where PHP is headed - generating JavaScript to support Rich UI.
That's just conjecture.

I was curious how you're using JSON? It appears to me that JSON may be
becoming more common in the RPG community to interface with ExtJS rich UI
components. Just curious.

-Nathan.