GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
"Okay, Scott, I'll bite: What do you suggest?"

I'm not Scott but from an article I read this morning by Jon Paris and Susan Gantner:

"What skills should you have as a minimum?
Modern RPG IV, subprocedures, use of C and Java functions from RPG, embedded SQL, XML processing, etc.
Modern development tools such as IBM's RDi
A modern Web programming language such as PHP, Java, or .NET, plus the ability to interface them with RPG business logic
HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

Respectfully, that's a bit of overkill. No one person needs to know all of that unless you're the jack of all trades for your company, and frankly unless you've got a whole lot of spare time on your hands, you're not going to learn all of it.

You absolutely need a solid grounding of RPG IV and ILE concepts, with free format being a high priority. You should know BIFs inside and out, and there are a few C functions that will help you. SQL is crucial. And of course you should know RDP.

After that, it's very much a mix and match that depends on your goals and those of your company. If you're a true Blue shop, Java is the next language to learn, although the enforced object orientation and pure class-based environment is a huge jump from the world of RPG.

HTML, CSS and JavaScript? In general, you should only need enough to be able to understand a basic web page. If you use EGL you need to know very little of these things. On the other hand, if you're going to use a scripting language like PHP, you'll need to become quite expert, because you'll effectively be using PHP to generate JavaScript, often to generate HTML.

If you're in a Microsoft shop, learn enough about .NET to know how to talk to those folks. Then, concentrate on delivering your business logic as web services and/or stored procedures. Do not, I repeat, do not worry about Java.

XML depends on your business. Generating XML is a piece of cake, parsing is a royal pain. Do you as an RPG programmer need to be parsing XML documents? Not necessarily. But certainly you should know what it does and how to read XML data, if only to be sure you're getting what you think you're getting. Plus it's a little different depending on whether you're using XML in web services or you're doing some other sort of data transfer. Because (you knew I'd get to this, right?) if you know EGL, you can create web services with literally a dozen lines of code, and then pass that data to your RPG programs as data structures, no XML knowledge needed.

So yeah, you need to expand your horizons. But there are easy ways and hard ways, and no matter what, you should know what your career goals are, because those goals will definitely help you decide what you need to learn.

Joe