Just in case anyone else runs into this in future I thought I'd share the
resolution. After a little help from our friends in Rochester, it turned
out this issue was part of:

V6R1M0 APAR SE38364 (RPGLE-RUN-MSGCPE3460 XML-INTO PROCESSING A LARGE XML
DATA FILE)

To resolve the problem, we applied runtime PTF SI36080 and compiler PTF
SI38316

Kind Regards,

Joe Maguire