Jeff

I prefer the first one, because it makes it clear that you are JOINing files. I have a feeling that the optimizer changes the second one to a real JOIN, but I'm not sure. It also helps make things clearer as to what indexes you want - JOIN fields should precede WHERE fields, as I recall - or vice versa.

I don't know that either performs any better - maybe there is optimizer optimization with the true JOIN, as it does not have to convert it.

Lots of speculation this early in the morning!

Vern

Jeff Crosby wrote:
I think the following 2 SQL statements should give me the same results. Is
there a preference on which 'style' to use? Or a performance difference?

This is a once-a-month task, so performance isn't critical. Readability is
more my concern and both are very readable IMO.

Exec SQL
Select :CurYYYYMM,
Coalesce(Sum(s.VCSALS), 0),
Coalesce(Sum(s.VCCGSL), 0),